6/26/2009

Amigurumi Workshop Series: Make a cute cupcake! (part 4)

Welcome to the final installment of the "Make a Cute Cupcake!" amigurumi workshop. I've had a lot of fun doing this and I'm already a-buzz with some ideas for my next workshop. By the way, if there is something special you'd like to see, please drop me a note via e-mail: ibscrochet@gmail.com!

And now... let's get this cupcake finished!

So far, you should have completed the first three workshops in this series. They were:
You should have two completed pieces -- the cake base (left) and the icing (right).


Add a Face to the Cake
Base

To add the cupcake's face to the cake base, you will need a pair of plastic doll eyes, a bit of pink yarn, and a yarn needle.

Note: If you're making your cupcake for someone under 3 years of age, you may want to consider stitching the eyes using black yarn. I use safety eyes on my projects and have found them to be nearly impossible to remove when attached properly. But, if you want to be totally safe, you can avoid the potential for a choking hazard all together.

Step 1: Place the eyes near round 12 of the cake base. This should be just below the lip of the cake. I typically place my eyes a little less than one inch apart.

Step 2: Using a bit of pink yarn and your yarn needle, stitch the smile in below the cupcake's eyes. I make my smiles in the shape of a "V" where the point of the "V" is exactly in the middle of both eyes.

Attach the Icing

Step 1: To attach your icing, you need to first fold over the lip we created with rounds 13-15 of the cake base. Pinch rounds 13 and 15 together with your fingers so that you get a double layer of the brown cake portion.

Step 2: With rounds 13 and 15 held together, pinch the icing piece on top of the cupcake. You should now have three layers pinched together.

Step 3: Stitch the icing to the top of the cake base with a bit of yarn in the icing color. To make sure that your stitches are invisible from the bottom of the cupcake, sew through only the icing and round 15 of the cake base as shown. Sew all the way around leaving about one inch of icing un-sewn so that you can stuff the cupcake.

Step 4: Push poly fiber fill in through the hole until the cupcake is plump (but not so plump that you are unable to shape it!)

Step 5: Finish stitching around the icing, cute and tie off your yarn. For a neat appearance, weave the loose end in to the icing.

Step 6: Shape your cupcake gently by tugging at the cake base and icing... and, VIOLA! you've created a cute cupcake!!

9 comments:

  1. How cute! I think I'm going to copy what you've done here, only stuff them with cat nip for my kitties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, this is darling! I just clicked over from WhipUp where these caught my eye. I would love to link to this if you didn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachel -- Thanks for letting me know about the WhipUp feature! I had never been to that site, but it's definitely marked in my favorites now!

    You are welcome to link to anything on my blog. The cupcake tutorial is also available (free) through Instructibles.com ==> http://www.instructables.com/id/Crochet-an-Amigurumi-Cupcake/ While you're there, check out my other Instructibles for a dino puppet, yeti, and amigurumi cell phone :-)

    @BabyFeet -- Thanks for the kind comment. I never thought about using the cupcakes as kitty treats, but you're absolutely right -- my fuzzballs would love catnip-stuffed cupcakes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how funny! I just now put it together that you and that fabulous Instrucatables writer are the same person. =) I even linked to the cupcake when it was on there!

    http://www.oneprettything.com/?p=9788&c=crochet-roundup

    I'll have to link to the other darling tutorials- thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This pattern is so cute. I've added it to the free directory at crochetatplay.com

    If you have any other free patterns you'd like added please feel free to do so on the front page.
    We're at 8,000 links and growing

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forse sono ricchi. Ma se alcuni di loro non possono permettersi i prezzi elevati, possono scegliere il nostro negozio online. Siamo in grado di offrire grandi Orologi Replica falsi di alto livello a tutti voi

    ReplyDelete
  7. La meilleure replique de montres boutique de France. Delicieusement fait et Rolex,Omega,Breitling,Hublot Replique Montre pas cher copie de qualite a vendre

    ReplyDelete
  8. amacınız daima en iyi bahis sitesini bulmak ise doğru sayfayı incelemek üzeresiniz.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin